Saturday, 26 October 2013

'Where is home?'

This question has come up several times now, and I'm finding it harder and harder to come up with an answer.

The concept of home is sometimes a very complicated question. We move out of our parents' house, we move interstate, or we migrate to another place- everyone faces this dilemma. It's just that some of us feel it more.

Home- then
For myself, it can be a very awkward question sometimes because my own definition of home varies. For instance, my home can be defined as the place I grew up. But it can also mean where I'm living now (but have not chose to 'settle down' in).

I do still consider the motherland as my home and where I'm from, but at the same time, I do feel as if I have a foot in each world, and for a person like me who likes certainty it can be frustrating. Sure, some people like living a nomadic life and being able to go around places and never having to call a place 'home'.

I'm different. I like certainty. I like knowing how things are defined, where I stand with other people, how I'll get to work the next day, when I'm going to the gym next, what am I having for dinner, and of course, where home is.

I think the main thing preventing me from solving this dilemma is the uncertainty. There are just too many factors that may dictate where my life will be headed in the next few years. To be perfectly honest  I do not know what will I be doing in a few years' time, and where. Perhaps then I will be able to definitively answer the question of where my home is.

Home- now?
Some people do think that I should just refer to where I am currently as 'home'- but I am very hesitant about this considering that I have not been away for even a decade yet. I'm in a sense more of a visitor than a person who has chosen to live here.

This is something that I am sure I will figure out in time, it's just a tad bit annoying when I get asked this question. Unfortunately, there is nothing I can do at the moment besides bearing it.

What is your definition of / where is your home?
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

0 comments