Sunday, 22 September 2013

Yes, my 22nd came and went very quickly earlier this month. While I sometimes still am in denial and tell people that I'm actually, I do realise that I am now an adult. And while I find it totally weird that I am now getting so old, here are 11 reasons why I'm glad that I am still 22. I'm sure this doesn't apply to everyone, but you may relate!

1. I can still say that I'm a 'young adult' rather than an 'adult'
I can't stress on how important this is- knowing that I've not fully transcended into adulthood. I'm still able to go about my life as someone who is barely out of teenage-hood (okay maybe a little more than barely).

2. I can live independently without my family and still be fine
I'm not at that stage in my life where I'm obsessed with finding my purpose in life and family becomes very important. Yes, they are still extremely important but it is also okay when I'm not with them. What a perfect balance- I enjoy their company when I see them, but am fine when I'm not with them.

Funnily enough, this is the only picture I took for my birthday
3. I don't get judged for things I do 
A lot of adults like to judge. How many times have you heard your parents talking about how someone's actions didn't reflect what society expected of them? Things like getting your ear pierced. Or having a good time at a party.

4. I can still get compliments like 'oh you're still young!' 
22 is when you start hanging out with older people. That's when you start your professional career (well that's the case for me anyway), so you are dealing with older people with more life experience. And here's the best part: Before you join the club you can still enjoy the 'you're still very young' compliments.

5. I don't need to have my whole life 'figured out'
I can still say I don't know what I want to do in the long-term, or where I see myself in 5 years. I have a vague plan of still remaining in the corporate world and moving up the ladder, but beyond that I don't really have much figured out. My current plan would probably last for a little over a year, and that's when I go back to the drawing board. But that's fine for me- we have to deal with changes in our lives all the time anyway.

6. I can still use inexperience as an excuse
Not knowing a lot of things can sometimes make you look bad in front of people. Think about the time you went fine dining and didn't know which knife or fork to use. Some mistakes can only be forgiven for so long, and I'm grateful that because I'm 22, I still have the luxury of being able to commit mistakes and having it attributed to inexperience.

7. I'm not as hormonal as 4 or 5 years ago (though some would disagree)
While I'm nowhere near being an adult with stable lives and whatnot, being 22 means that I am very close to that stage now. My career is starting to take off and I am starting to see what life is like for many, many years to come. But it also means that I am not as hormonal as I was during my teenage years 4 or 5 (maybe even 6-7) years ago. Or perhaps a more accurate statement would be my hormone levels have stabilised? I don't know, I'm not a doctor.

Birthday at work! 

8. I get to do adult things
By this, I mean things like making an appointment to see the doctor for something trivial. Or going out without having a curfew. I get to make my own decisions on what I want to do, which can be scary sometimes since I sometimes feel as if I would be lost without counsel. But I guess learning to listen to your instincts and act on them is also part of being an adult.

9. I don't have to feel bad about walking into a Cotton On store
You know those stores- the type that teenagers go in because the clothes are cheap. Adults shun them because of the quality, or maybe it's the low prices, or something else. But I do like stores like that because the products are still things that I would wear outside of work, and I'm glad that I'm not too old for them yet- I still fit in their demographic.

10. I can still bear discomfort 
One of the biggest things I don't like about ageing is that your tolerance of discomfort diminishes. When you were little not washing your hair for days would've been fine- see how long you last now. This is especially so when travelling- I've always had the belief that adults have less tolerance, i.e they need a proper bed, they need food at certain times of day, etc. I know that that day will probably come to me, but I'm hoping that it will only happen in my 30s or later, and I can enjoy my travels in my 20s.

Tried my hand at modelling... kind of
11. I can have financial independence without the burden
I cannot imagine how exciting this is. As I'm only at the beginning of a whole new phase of my life, I don't have much. It's like when you first move houses- you have the bare essentials and that's it. The same goes for financials. Right now, I have a job that pays me enough to cover rent, utilities and my expenses. It's quite a comfortable life for now, because everything is kind of clear cut- I have things that I need to pay for every month, and so on and so forth, but I don't have to worry about major things like a mortgage or a car loan. Heck, I don't know how those things work. But for now, it means that I won't have to obsess over having to pay all these debts.

I'm sure there are more benefits, but these are all I can think of now. Granted, different 22 year-olds would have different experiences, but I thought it would be nice to contribute still.
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

1 comments