Wednesday, 20 March 2013

Sometime several months ago, I made a new year's resolution. I haven't actually checked it out yet but I do know a few of them by heart as they're the ones I've never been able to keep. It's the usual suspects- getting healthier, fitter, eating better, being more adventurous and stepping out of my comfort zone. When making it, I definitely had my doubts over whether I would be able to keep them this year, or will they simply be pushed forward to next year's resolutions. But then it hit me. I'm not getting any younger. Sure, when you're 19, eating healthily can wait, but now that I'm fully in my 20s, I came to the sudden realisation that I need to take charge of my life more.

You'll be surprised at how thoughts like these can motivate you sometimes. I for one never entertained the notion of being in my 20s. But this time around, I did, and as usual, it scared me. So this year, I have tried my best to eat healthy meals (cutting down on instant noodles and junk food... I tried anyway) and doing some exercises at home. This week I also started something I knew I should have done a long time ago- I signed up for a gym membership.


Yes, it's one of those things that may seem like a premium that you don't need, and it is true that sometimes you really don't need a gym membership. I found a gym that has excellent facilities- tons of different classes, a pool, and a rock climbing wall. Stepping inside, I felt comfortable immediately, and I knew that I would feel a lot more motivated to work out here. And so, instead of telling myself how expensive the membership is, or that I can workout at home, I signed up. Why? Because I felt the need to really take full control of my body.

And mind you, it's been great. I have been going to the gym quite regularly, and today was perhaps one of the most rewarding days. I tried yoga for the first time in my life. I can see why yoga is so popular; it made me stretch muscles I didn't know I have and definitely don't know how to stretch even if I did. It made me realise how much further I can go if I work hard and am persistent. There was definitely a relaxing factor in yoga that would make me want to go back for more. You are simply in the studio and can forget about the external world, and it feels amazing.

Then there's the rock climbing. Those of you who know me well would know that I'm afraid of heights. But I figured, why not? I'm trying to be more adventurous anyway. So I went through the safety briefing and then started climbing (with supervision of course). After explaining how things work, the instructor told me to climb halfway up. When I did, I asked what next. He said let go.


'W-what? Let go?' was my reaction at first. Yes, there is a harness. But I was still terribly nervous. I mean, there is something to be said about you hanging on by your fingers on a rock, and being told to let go and plunge to the ground (okay you don't plunge, but you get what was going through my body). But I steadied my nerves, told myself to just go for it, and... I let go. It felt good. Then he told me to climb all the way up. He followed me up, and when we reached the top, he asked if I was ready to let go. This time, I was, and let go of my grip on the rocks with less hesitation. There was, oddly, something really liberating and empowering about that moment.  It was a moment where I forgot about everything else that was going on in my life, and just get absorbed in the moment and allowing myself to experience life as it is. To feel the adrenaline rush through my body as my feet left the tiny foothold and the spring tightening around the harness, bringing me back to the ground, was amazing.

I felt nothing else. I thought of nothing else. I just let go, and I think that's something that I might need to learn in life. Sometimes it really is about taking the plunge and just doing things. I did it today. Of course, it didn't hurt being told that I did really well for my first try.
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

3 comments