Tuesday, 12 February 2013

I guess it's safe to say that I've really left my old life as a student behind. Summer break is ending, and at the tender age of 21, I'm finding myself at the start of my adult life. Suddenly, life becomes a lot scarier. Not just because I'm now out in the 'real world', but also because I'm being reminded that I'm not getting any younger. Next year, I'll be 23. That's nearing my mid twenties, and it's crazy to think that this is the third decade of my existence. THIRD decade.

And yet, I find it awkward when asked by people if I've got a job since my decision to stay put in Melbourne. The answer really is, yes and no. To put it simply, yes I have found a job, as a kitchenhand at a Malaysian restaurant here. Nothing special, nothing glamorous about it. But no, it's not a job that most people, myself included, envisioned that I would have- a stable job that pays the rent and covers my expenses with some left over for my luxuries and travels. One that is related to my field of study and is mentally stimulating at the very least.

So when people (especially those from home) ask me if I've got a job, the easier answer is just to say 'no'. I guess the difference here is that I'm looking for a career, waiting for an opening so that I can squeeze my way through and begin my career. I'm like Penny from The Big Bang Theory. Working 'temporarily' in a restaurant till I find something better. Except that this something could take a long time to materialise.

But of course, you don't ask people if they have a career- you ask if they have a job. But for fresh grads, you really mean a career, so therein lies my problem. One that I'm sure many other grads face. We seem to be in a lot of pressure to get a job, some of us more than others, for many reasons. But it's tough- I'm entering the workforce at a time when the economy isn't in the best shape while the competition is getting ever stronger. It's not a good time to be graduating at all.

But one of the biggest lessons I've learned in life is that you don't know when opportunities come knocking. I was fortunate enough to have been blessed with many, many great opportunities throughout my lifetime, and most of them came at unexpected times. You just never know what's coming your way. And often, it might be something unexpected too. And you really should just grab the bull by its horns and have a go. Life should be interesting, after all. So I know that despite my difficulties in landing a career, or even a job that can pay my rent and expenses with, I shall simply count my blessings and work hard.

It's tough, but I'm reminded that nothing is ever easy and you need to work hard to get what you want in life. For sure, the year ahead will be filled with challenges as I try to make it in this world. But I guess here's where I begin to be more confident of myself and simply throw myself in the deep end, and float.
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

2 comments