Saturday, 27 October 2012

I've never been so committed to completing a piece of writing. But today upon stumbling on a certain website I decided to take the plunge.

Over the years, I've written here and there, recently I've taken to simply writing on my laptop, though that hasn't been very fruitful with my hectic schedule. It seems that discipline is really one of the toughest things a writer like myself can face.

So today, when I found out about the National Novel Writing Month, I was immediately intrigued. Here's what you do:
National Novel Writing Month is a fun, seat-of-your-pants approach to novel writing. Participants begin writing on November 1. The goal is to write a 50,000-word (approximately 175-page) novel by 11:59:59 PM on November 30.
So I signed up, and brought up this document in my laptop where I write down ideas for my stories, picked one that has actually been hovering in my head for the past few days, and started planning. It says in the website that I can do all the pre-work beforehand, I just can't write yet, so I'm drawing up some research and plot outlines now. If you know me you would know that I enjoy having my stories well planned rather than writing as I go, so I always like knowing how a story will end before even writing them (although this hasn't always been the case, I've modified my stories a few times). I figured that since I'm now on my holiday and don't really want to work yet, this could be a great way to do 'work' and experience the life of an author.

But in conjunction with that, I thought I'd write a journal of my whole experience writing this novel. I think I'll document them offline first, and if I want to maybe I'll put them up here. 30 days of updates about writing a novel can be rather off-putting after all... Maybe I'll have to set up a new blog specially for this. Unless you don't mind reading about my emotions and thoughts throughout those 30 days?

And if there are any of you out there who would like to partake in this challenge, please do! It would be  really nice to share our thoughts later on.

Wish me luck!
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

3 comments