Sunday, 30 September 2012

I figured I should add a new post before September comes to a close- feels like I've been neglecting this blog so much lately.

Anyway, does it bother you that we now have so many valuables with us? I remember, long time ago, in an episode of Charmed (yeah.. remember that series?) where they were asked who would they save in a fire- a sibling or five strangers. It always intrigued me, the thought of who, or what, we would grab in the event of a fire.

Of course, my first thought is that I wonder if I'll even wake up- I'm such a deep sleeper that I sleep through a lot of things (though I think this is improving).

My room- yes it's a little messy, I know
But recently (that means a few months ago) I came across this website that was rather interesting- it's called The Burning House. The premise of the website is simple.
If your house was burning, what would you take with you? It's a conflict between what's practical, valuable and sentimental. What you would take reflects your interests, background and priorities. Think of it as an interview condensed into one question.
In it, visitors post pictures of what they would bring with them when their house is on fire. Common items that come up are of course laptops, phones and passports. And that got me thinking- what would I bring out of my house if it were on fire?

This is something that I have thought of for some time now- after all, I live alone, far away from my family, so I am forced to be independent. In the case of a fire, I would need to think about what would I  grab quickly and save.

So when thinking about what I would save, I thought about this is two different perspectives- the first being if it happened in the middle of the night and I was woken up by it, and if it happened all of a sudden without notice.

Of course, if I had to be woken up then I definitely wouldn't be in the right state of mind to be able to think properly about what I would save. But this is what I would've picked up:



My laptop and phone seems rather obvious- A lot of my memories are stored within and it would be devastating to lose them. Also, they're not cheap. And how can I forget my passport- I can't leave the country otherwise. And my wallet would allow me to still access my money. The last thing is a 'survival' book from my Mum before I left.

Next, I thought about what I would do if I were wide awake when it happened. Of course, I would be in a better position to determine what I would need.


Again, not much has changed- there five items in the previous picture still remains. But there are additions. My two external hard drives which contain lots of files that I treasure (movies, TV shows, etc). My iPod also has sentimental value- it's four years' worth of music in there, music that I listened to as a teen. And some songs themselves are sentimental. Worse, these songs are only on my iPod. And finally, there's another item of sentimental value- a photo album given to me by a friend as a parting gift.

Of course, given the chance I would save a lot more things- such as books, and a photo that was also a parting gift from friends. But these are bulky and would probably make it hard for me to transport out of the house (although I am quite close to the door, so it might work).

What would you save from your burning house?
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

4 comments