Friday, 2 September 2011

In one of my classes this semester, we tackled the idea of 'history'. Funnily enough, even history is subjected to academic analysis. So this author wrote about how history is seen as a narration, a story of progress and development through time; but if you think about it, what about the Dark Ages? Was it progress? And what about the current state of books? Is the emergence of e-books considered a progression and improvement even though it is still, a book? Then there's the thought of history as universal; but come on, the Dark Ages in Europe wasn't the Dark Ages in other parts of the world.

So much fail!

It's a pretty interesting read, and that's I guess what makes courses like these interesting- they take the most mundane and simplistic everyday terms and put it under the microscope. And that's what I like about media studies- it is so different from the sciences that I'm used to back in high school; I feel that it's engaging in deeper thought because we don't discuss facts and memorise formulas, it's very subjective and provocative at times.

But that's not why I started this entry- the reason behind it is much, much simpler.

So Facebook has been showing these past status updates, and I have had the privilege of seeing a few (thought just two of my own). It's a pretty interesting thing I guess, to be reminded of something that happened in the past, good or bad. Here are two status updates of mine last year.



Ahhh... FML. A wonderful site to relish in someone else's pain. Probably the start of my 'sadistic' tendencies (really don't know why people think that). I posted this on the 26th August 2010, and I'm pretty sure I just had a bad day, and was looking forward to coming home and entertaining myself with reading what bad luck other people are having (some are really, really funny!).

To tell you the truth, these websites (Failblog, FML, Failbook) are probably a minor reason in me coping with the depressing time I had last year- it was like a candle in a dark room, for I would return home to seek refuge in my room and try not to be bothered by the horrible time I was having. It was one of the few things that never failed to cheer me up. Just the thought of being able to laugh at something instead of being frustrated and stressed out was... liberating.


This second update was definitely funny. It happened on the 2nd of September 2010. It was when I was watching The X Factor (another comical relief) and I was just watching the people who sang so horribly yet thought they were pretty good because their friends had not dared to tell them that they were horrible. I originally hesitated to post that on Facebook because it was a little provocative, but in the end I thought that I thought I might've well say what I want to say because most people are already surprised when they see the more outspoken side of me.

That also made me consider updating my Facebook status more often. I can't even remember the last time I did so, I just don't feel as comfortable sharing what I think with the world. But perhaps I might start again, because after all, it is for me to look back and laugh at.

That's all I have for now. Perhaps when I've amassed a few more past updates then I'll show them again.
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

2 comments