Sunday, 11 September 2011

Have you ever had one of those days, when you just felt so tired of doing the same thing that you just wanted something different?

I've experienced that a few times in my life, and most of the time I decided to do something hair-related; that is, change my hairstyle. Once I even contemplated going bald.

So for the day I turned 20 I decided to do something I've never done before- dye my hair. I've had highlights done a few times before, but never my entire head, so this time around I thought I'd do that, just to see how it'll turn out.

I selected a dark red colour, and while having it done swore to myself that I would never do it again. But now I'm not so sure. Why? 

Graduation! The end of possibly the best time of my life- high school!

The end result was... not exactly what I'd expected. I wanted something that was striking and obvious, but it also can't be too light a colour because I don't think it suits me. It's a fine line, but this time it didn't turn out as well as I'd hoped, so perhaps I'll give it a try again in the future.

But I think I've had enough with changing my hair colour for the moment. Can't say when I'll feel the urge to do so again, since the last time I did it was about 2 years ago now (in case you're wondering, I've dyed my hair several times since high school), although after the colour wore off I definitely did not feel like dyeing my hair for quite sometime.

Or perhaps sometimes it's just a yearning to do something unconventional by society's standards. Yes, dyeing one's hair is very common now but I think it's not really expected from someone like me with a 'goody goody' image (I quote a friend who did actually say that). But at the same time I've never really felt like I fit into any lens seen by society- I wasn't notorious or malicious, nor was I athletic. I wasn't particularly bright (it didn't show in my grades), nor was I hopeless in studies.

In this video for an assignment back in college I was playing a homeless but musically-talented person.

I'd felt that I was... different, that no one could really understand me, hence I'm the 'goody-goody' boy who dyed his hair. Funny eh?

Just take a look at my different movie tastes shown here in 3 trailers. One's an action/mystery film that's also a thriller and drama, another's a serious drama that's award-worthy and sees a cliched storyline from another perspective, and the last one's attraction's nothing but an all-star cast.







Anyhow, today's the anniversary of 9/11, and I thought it'd be great to look back. We humans seem to have a love for very even numbers, like 10, 25, 50, 100. So 10 years ago today, I was but a mere 10 year-old, still in primary school, enjoying being a child, and probably celebrating finally being old enough to have two digits.

Now, of course, I just turned 20 a few days back. Compare my 10 year-old self and now, and even I'm surprised at how far I've come and how I've turned out. I think that's the case for most people, we somehow never become the person we thought we would be. And sometimes we look back and marvel and how different we once were.

And lastly, because I'm in a mood to share, here's me, 9 years ago (at 11 years old), shortest in the family at the time (I'm now the tallest), and rather tanned.


*Image cropped to prevent embarrassment to others in the picture.
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

3 comments