Tuesday, 2 August 2011

As promised, this is my reflection on the last Harry Potter movie.

I think it was definitely one of the best in the series- the actors have gotten comfortable in their roles and got used to working with the same director (who I believe has directed the last 4 movies?), and not to forget the older cast members who are exceptional actors! Having said that, I must say that I expected a little more out of it.


To start with, I thought that it was really smart of them to have a 'previously on Harry Potter' thing going on at the beginning where they refreshed everyone's memories, as even I had not remembered everything, even though it was only half a year ago that the previous movie came out.

I also thought the movie was pretty spectacularly done, overall pretty loyal to the book, and managing to add a couple of humorous scenes as well! I nearly laughed my head off when McGonagall excitedly declare that she had always wanted to use a spell that was a last resort to protect Hogwarts (it wasn't in the book). Snape and McGonagall's duel was definitely one to watch, short as it was but it was nice to see some action coming from the older castmembers.

Having said that, I definitely had expected a little more in some areas- I felt the beginning was too rushed and we just seem to be jumping from scene to scene without any buildup, and a lot of the deeper concepts were made to be shallower. Take for example Harry's 'dream' with Dumbledore. I recall that in the book there was  a whole lot of information about the past- how Harry succeeded, how Voldemort is scared of death, how love is still the most powerful magic in the world. I also would've liked the ending to have been more loyal to the book, that is to say I wished that it was more detailed. There was no mention of Malfoy's son, or Neville's teaching job, or Ted Lupin/Tonks' existence.


Another disappointment was the soundtrack. I believe the famous Harry Potter soundtrack only came up once during the entire movie- during the credits, and that was what made me nostalgic. It made me think about the end of this journey and the fun ride that I've been on.

But this is not about how I miss Harry Potter, it's about the movie. Romance was kept to a minimum, which was good considering how every Hollywood movie needs romance. I liked the buildup to the Ron / Hermione kiss (although I'm told that it was censored in Malaysia- you guys missed out, big time!). I liked the short Harry / Ginny kiss. I liked the Neville / Luna thing (can't remember if it was in the book, though). Oh and speaking of romance, the ending was really funny! I laughed pretty loudly when I saw the adult Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny and Malfoy.

So- overall, I think the movie was rather good, although I must say I don't think it lived up to the high expectations.
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

1 comments