Tuesday, 23 August 2011

You must be wondering, what possessed me to abandon this blog for more than 10 days. In my own defence, I was really preoccupied and only got very little free time now.

But because I've been so busy, sometimes I do wonder why on Earth am I doing this. You know the age old question- life is short, you don't know what's going to happen tomorrow, so why not relax and enjoy life while you are able to?

I think it's during times like these that you really do a lot of self-reflection. It is when you ask yourself what your motivations for working yourself mad is, and how long you think you can keep it up. You think about the many people you know who have been hit by sudden illnesses or misfortune and who are unable to continue living the way they did, and you wonder if that will happen to you.


They also say that youth is when you work hard. That's when you still have the creativity and energy to continuously burn the midnight oil and survive. When I hear this the first thing that goes through my head is that 'my biological age must be pretty close to a 30 or 40 year old then'.

We live in a very materialistic world. You are not deemed successful if you haven't earned any significant prize or achievement.

But I do believe that we are slowly turning away from it as well- there is more emphasis on work-life balance now, and just look at all the books on self-help, soul-searching and spirituality.

Cast of the latest season of Survivor- no clue on who are the returning players, though! 

Do you ask yourself that? Do you wonder why you slave over that assignment in uni? Why not just pack your bags and go to a remote village in the middle of a jungle and live there, or even go travelling?

I admit, I do think about those once in a while- and one of my goals in life remains, to this day, being able to travel the world. Not on separate trips, but on one single, long, journey. Originally, my plan was to get a part-time job here and save up to take a gap year after I graduate, but it doesn't look so promising right now, so I'll definitely have to make some changes to those plans.

But I do try to be optimistic. Like they say, all roads lead to Rome. I just need to find it.
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

0 comments