Thursday, 14 July 2011

Upon my return, I slumped on the bed and fell asleep for about 10 hours. It wasn't too long, probably because I wasn't very sleep deprived to begin with, and also because I had a pile of things to do before classes begin next week.

The first thing I did after refreshing myself is to power up my laptop and connect to the Internet. As I had no access to Internet, not even via my phone. Being the news junkie that I am, one of the first things I did was to read the news.

I definitely felt out of the loop- most stories did not make much sense because I had not read the earlier articles concerning those issues. Like the Bersih rally. Or the carbon tax announcement (in Australia). Or the Tiger Airways suspension (the airline I was with). It took me awhile to get all the information I was seeking.


Then it hit me. We seem to be so dependent on the Internet nowadays for so many things- communication, information, that living without it is next to impossible. When I came back, it was only a week that I've been gone but it felt much longer. Even during the last day, everyone was happy to leave because we all wanted to get back to 'civilisation'.

And civilisation it is, indeed- without Internet we didn't know what was going on outside out little bubble- a war could be going on and we'd still be clueless. We are now so dependent on our technologies that we cannot imagine how we got by just a few years back without mobile Internet and free WiFi.

I've not been on a long holiday for quite sometime, but I am curious- will holidays continue to be a time of relaxation and to unwind from the hectic lives we lead, or will it be filled with anxiety over all the work we have left behind?

What do you think? Do you agree?
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

3 comments