Sunday, 13 March 2011

So yet another natural disaster has hit us. I'm sure you know what I'm talking about. What I find hard to comprehend is the constant 'pray for Japan' pleas on Facebook and Twitter and who knows how many other social networking sites. I for one, refrained from it.

Think about it- of all the people who posted stuff like that, how many do you think actually prayed? Or were they just thinking along the lines of 'Gosh that's so horrible! Oh look, pray for Japan! That's a good update!'

Yes, it's unfortunate that this has happened. But there's a difference between actually helping and using it as a social performance to show people that you care about events in the world. If you actually did you probably would be doing something to help eradicate child labour and child soldiers, poverty, food shortage and the many other social issues around the world. Or to be specific, donating to help the Japanese. In the words of the author of a journal I just read about comments / wall posts on Facebook:

Comments are not simply a dialogue between two interlocutors, but a performance of social connection before a broader audience.


It doesn't exactly fit the situation, but like I posted before, social network updates are like a performance, it's your public image. But you really cannot blame these people.

Another thing I'm finding funny is the constant 'it's a sign of 2012!' thing going on. Apparently, if you add the date of 911 and the date the Japanese earthquake together, it adds up to December 21, 2012. Hmmm.... why not the 2004 tsunami?

No, I don't own that

Granted, I'm not completely against the idea of a catastrophic event like 2012 happening, but I definitely have a lot of doubts. Like this, which apparently can cause 'wide-spread blackouts and affecting communication cables that support the Internet and damage satellites used for commercial communications, global positioning and weather forecasting'.

In the meantime, I'll keep myself amused with Survivor. You may never know, it might come in handy when something end of the world-ish will happen.

As for my life, uni has been treating me all right, although I'm still adjusting to life in Melbourne. I believe I'm still very much in the 'tourist phase'. But it doesn't bother me that much, I'm much more worry-free these days. And that's a good thing.
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

0 comments