Sunday, 20 March 2011

I apologise for the infrequent updates. Sometimes I feel extremely motivated to blog, other times I only feel like not doing anything productive. Sometimes I feel as if I can write multiple entries, other times even once in a few days seem like an enormous task.

I actually started writing a little about my experience living abroad. I do hope that one day, I'll become a published author, but I'm not sure if this is it. I'm also in the process (read: procrastination!) of writing a fictitious story, but I highly doubt that I'll share it here.

Anyway, I'm still finding it hard to adjust to uni life, I'm surprised at it myself. Perhaps it's because of the three month holiday I've had. Perhaps it's because of the two previous trips to Melbourne I made being holidays. Perhaps I'm still adjusting to culture shock and being independent, again. Who knows? My mind works in very peculiar ways.


I'm not sure if I've shared this with you all, but I'm wondering if anyone has heard J.K. Rowling's Harvard commencement speech? I've always found it to be highly inspiring. Today I read through the script again, and it resonated with me so very deeply, on many levels.

Maybe it's because it's dawned on me that I don't perform very well in interviews or in situations where I have to impress people. Maybe because I've come to realise that like what J.K. Rowling said, facing obstacles in life has taught me a lot about myself.

Anyway, here's her speech:







And here are some snippets of the speech, which you can read from here:

Failure taught me things about myself that I could have learned no other way. I discovered that I had a strong will, and more discipline than I had suspected; I also found out that I had friends whose value was truly above the price of rubies.

The knowledge that you have emerged wiser and stronger from setbacks means that you are, ever after, secure in your ability to survive. You will never truly know yourself, or the strength of your relationships, until both have been tested by adversity. Such knowledge is a true gift, for all that it is painfully won, and it has been worth more than any qualification I ever earned.

If you choose to use your status and influence to raise your voice on behalf of those who have no voice; if you choose to identify not only with the powerful, but with the powerless; if you retain the ability to imagine yourself into the lives of those who do not have your advantages, then it will not only be your proud families who celebrate your existence, but thousands and millions of people whose reality you have helped change. We do not need magic to change the world, we carry all the power we need inside ourselves already: we have the power to imagine better.

Have a wonderful week ahead!

P.S. Should I take the spam on the chatbox as a compliment?
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

0 comments