Friday, 3 December 2010

When I was in primary school, I was a sucker for remembering what homework I had for the day. I had to resign to using the small notebook provided by the school to jot down every day's homework the moment it's given. Then the next day when I stepped into class to hand it up, I would have to walk to the front of the class, look at all the homework then go back to my bag to search for the book. And if I had forgotten to do a certain work... oh s***. Time to begin to rush for it without teachers noticing.

Rule #1: Don't act suspicious. When writing in class, act as if you're taking notes!

Rule #2: Establish good relationships with people sitting near you so that they can cooperate and not rat you out like primary school kids do.

I have always been perplexed as to why people get caught doing their homework. I for one, do not remember being caught. I either owned up to it (if I felt my chances of completing it are slim), or completed it and handed it up without the teacher noticing (huge risk, but pays off well if I succeed).

Then in Year 6, I was forced (really, I was forced) to go for extra Chinese classes that everyone else went to (my mum had objected to me attending any, so I was spared for the most part). One of the main thing we did was memorising idioms. Basically we all had to stand up and could only sit when you've answered the meaning to 3 idioms correctly. The first row in class with everyone seated, wins (back then my teacher implemented a Hogwarts-style points system).

Knowing that I was not good at memorising blindly, or as good in Chinese as other classmates, I resorted to studying smart instead of hard. I highlighted the idioms with the shortest meaning, then put it under my desk and memorised it in class the whole day (I knew that if I did it the day before I wouldn't remember a thing after sleeping... or maybe I was just lazy). That strategy served me very well, and I was never left standing.

Come to think about it, I was pretty strategic. I wouldn't call it sneaky, but... I just had better study techniques than most classmates.


Okay the above was just an entry to vent my frustrations about primary school. I still have loads, but that's not what this entry is about. The point is, sometimes, most of the times even, the phrase 'better late than never' would be a very good principle to follow when you've forgotten to do something. So here's my better late than never entry.

December 1 was World Aids Day. While I do not know much about the disease, from a communication perspective I have found two rather interesting campaigns.



That's a campaign in Hollywood with quite a number of celebrities joining. Basically they stop using social media until the campaign has raised $1 million to donate. I found the concept interesting, but... as I follow some of these celebs on Twitter I found that they still tweeted... that they're dead. I saw Tweets like 'Ryan Seacrest is dead. Buy his digital life back!' which I found to be unjustified because they weren't supposed to be using Twitter at all. And like someone wrote:

I can't help but feel that drawing some kind of bizarre comparison between the actual death of a child and Kim Kardashian staying off freaking Twitter for a couple days is wrong.

I mean, really. Would the world be so bereft without gems like this?

The second one is a Malaysian one.



I found that pretty classic, nothing special about the concept, except for the celebrities used. I found it funny that it seems like most if not all Malaysian celebrities were on it. Either the campaign team did a good job in attracting so many stars, or Malaysia just have a limited number of celebs.

And that's the end. See you soon!
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

0 comments