Tuesday, 30 November 2010

Yesterday, my laptop failed me once again. I was so annoyed that I could not bear to write about it because I was at a loss for words. Thankfully, it wasn't a huge problem so I managed to fix it myself. I'm awfully tempted to change my laptop now, since this is the third time in a year that it's failed me. Suddenly, Macbooks seem more and more tempting. It's not that I don't like my laptop; it's just that if it's not working out then I have to move on. It's like relationships in life- when you commit to a relationship and you're not being met halfway, then it's time to stop trying.

But because my laptop is still new, I'm rather reluctant to change it. But I'll just have to see how things go.

My current laptop, I think

Another change I've noted in me is that more and more, I seem to be becoming interested in tech news. I don't consider myself a techie, because while I can recognise quite a number of gadgets, unlike tech junkies I do not wait in line to get the latest gadgets, nor am I one of those people who need to use a certain gadget to perform a task (like an ergonomic mouse). But I do rather enjoy reading about them. Mashable is one such site which I enjoy reading, because it features a wide variety of topics and is updated very often.

Take today, for example. Did you know that the WIkileaks website was attacked? Well, someone has claimed responsibility for it. Then there's the news that Google will be launching its 'social initiative' early next year instead of this year. The birth of another social network based on social causes caught my attention, too. Honestly, I think that there are enough social networks already. Facebook alone is already mind numbing at times.


I remember that when I was younger, I had signed up for multiple social network accounts- Friendster, Hi5 and a few others I don't remember. This year, I deleted all of them, at least those that I know of. I'm certain that I still have a presence in several other sites, but I just don't know their names. I definitely don't see myself signing up for any other social networks, unless it becomes as popular as Facebook and everyone jumps on the bandwagon. In which case, I guess it would be time to consider closing my Facebook account.


Don't get me wrong, I do think social networking is a wonderful tool. I mean, for once, I don't have to admit that I actually don't remember someone's birthday, and communication becomes so much easier and cheaper. But at the same time (this was what I learned in class) our online identities become a performance, like how a celebrity manages their image. So in a way, it's not really who we are. And I sometimes do find that online interactions can be a little too public.

Do you feel the same way?



I don't know about you, but I found that video extremely hilarious, especially Serena Williams. That was a very... shall I say dramatic performance? I almost couldn't believe it when I saw it on TV last year!
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

0 comments