Tuesday, 16 November 2010

Before I came to Australia, I was pretty much unaware or simply didn't care about security issues, be it physically or online. But since doing media studies, I've come to realise a lot of things that I had not considered before.

Facebook is one such example. I really had not considered the privacy issues on Facebook before, but this year, I became more and more private (so technically, my studies is not the only reason) so I began tightening my privacy settings on Facebook. And for those of you who don't think it's an issue, consider this: what if somebody saves your photos, then creates another Facebook account using your photos and use it for criminal purposes? Unlikely, but still, why leave the opening there?

Melbourne, where I'm moving to next year

I also used to play a couple of Facebook games and quizzes. Games I got tired of, but one day I just deleted all the applications so that they wouldn't be able to get access to my information. Now, if I take a quiz, I always revoke permission once I'm done. It's a serious issue; it was found that many popular Facebook apps give away user IDs to other companies. Which means that these companies can know who you are, who your friends are, and so on.

When I first came here, I locked my room door at night, effectively locking myself in when other people leave their sliding doors open to let the outside air in. I just didn't feel safe at first; at night the area's horribly dark, unlike back home. But now I've let loose a little, so I no longer lock my room door. But when I come home, when I'm going up the stairs I look behind me first to see if anyone's hiding at the top, then look to the right and left to see if anyone's in the corridor before going to my unit.

I know, I know, sounds as if I'm paranoid. But it can be scary sometimes. There was this one night when I was ill that I couldn't sleep, and I heard the sound of helicopters. That was around midnight. The funny thing was, it wasn't just passing by, the sound was continuous, as if it was circling the area. I started scaring myself with storylines you watch in movies. But turns out it wasn't too far from what I imagined- a robbery had occurred that night to a student on the way home from uni, and so police were looking for the culprits.

These things scare me sometimes. It worries me that anyone could be using information gathered about me online to steal my identity. Remember some old Sandra Bullock movie where she was framed as a killer when someone stole her identity and switched it with the impostor's? How can you prove you are who you say you are, then?

I will end this post with one video that is a little disturbing, although it is purely for entertainment.



Pretty creepy, eh?
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

0 comments