Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Do you remember how Enid Blyton used to describe things in her books? The forest full of trees and grass and other plants, kids playing in the woods and all that. I still remember reading her Faraway Tree series, and was enchanted. I vaguely remember how she described the nature-ish things, but I remember that it was really good.

This year, while I had made a short trip to Mount Barker, which is in the Adelaide Hills about an hour by bus from the city, certain parts of the place made me feel as if I had went into Enid Blyton's world.

Me and my friend first made a stop at the train station, and that was where I got the first dose of it. There were people there about to hop on a train, all dressed up looking like they came from the '20s. Of course, you wouldn't understand how I felt at that time because you weren't there, but imagine this: you walk out of the bus, seeing normal signs of civilisation- roads, cars, shops, and then you walk to the railway station, past the archway, and in front of you is a train that looked like it came from the '20s (or maybe later, I'm not too sure- would anyone care to enlighten me?) and people who dressed like that as well. It's like... stepping onto Platform Nine and Three Quarters from Kings Cross.

I looked at the people. They were really dressed for the occasion. The only hints that told me that I'm still in 2010 was the fact that some of them took out their cell phones, and some were drinking a can of Coke.

 Look at how they're dressing! Pretty awesome, right?

 Old-ish looking train

The front of the train

They reminded me a little of Titanic; they were dressed as members of the elite of that time, I suppose. I didn't have many pictures of them (and no close-ups) because I didn't know any of them and didn't want to ask for a photo (I'm shy that way). But it was an amazing experience, even though it lasted for only about 10 minutes.

Then we went exploring, and that's when Enid Blyton came in. There were quiet roads undisturbed by  modern developments;



there were quaint houses filled with greenery;



there were lush, wide fields where animals could freely roam (in this case, just two);



and so many more which I either don't have pictures of or because I don't want to show them (but I'll show you one last one).

 Railway! I managed to take a picture in the middle of it

It was, to say the least, breathtaking. But of course, it came to an end when it was time to leave. That's probably one of the things I like about Adelaide- you have a city centre that's considered to be urban (although not as lively as other bigger cities), but just a short drive away is the country where you can go there just to relax or to enjoy nature (not that I can't enjoy nature back home- remember my Gopeng trip?).

So for any of you who has grown tired of the hustle and bustle of the city and want a fresh change in Australia, Adelaide just might be your place (I don't know why I'm promoting Adelaide even though I don't plan to stay).

And that, folks, is all for today.
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

0 comments