Saturday, 13 November 2010

First of all, I apologise for not updating. The laptop decided to betray me by crashing on the eve of one of my deadlines. So for the past week I have been relentlessly doing my assignments, and I only got my laptop fixed yesterday.

I've now completed all of them, and can now enjoy my holidays. Today has been great; I have done nothing but enjoy the day. But while my laptop was not fixed yet I had borrowed some DVDs from uni and watched them there to while the time away, and yesterday I watched this movie Amreeka.

It is the story of a Palestinian mother and son who decided to migrate to America, and how they coped with the struggle to fit in. Here's the trailer:



I've watched the movie, and it's really good! In some small way, I do find that I can relate to them, because I am living in a foreign country as well. One of favourite scenes was when the main character Muna (who just arrived in America) was having a conversation with her sister who has been in America for 15 years, and her sister basically said 'I don't know why you'd decide to come here. If I were given a choice I would go home in a heartbeat'.
Her reply was that it is not the same anymore, and life is just difficult back home- for example the army built a wall to separate two territories and so now, she has to take 2 hours to get to work when it was only 15 minutes before. Basically she felt like a prisoner in her own home, and that it was aimless; they were just living, that's all.

Her sister's reply, was that 'it's still home'. And that really resonated with me, because sometimes that's how I feel too. Sure, there are plenty of opportunities here,  but it's nowhere like home. This is why I think I enjoyed the movie- I could understand how they felt being in a foreign country and what they have to go through every day, struggling to fit in.

So go watch it if you can find it; it's quite a good movie.

This is all for now. I need time to configure my laptop to how I want it to be.
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

0 comments