Tuesday, 5 October 2010

I actually wanted to write a post about Chinese New Year because of an article on Raya that I saw on The Star, but then it occurrence to me that Chinese New Year is not for another few months, so I might as well just save it for that time, because I will be around during Chinese New Year next year.

Because I was inspired, I wrote the post up, so that I just need to tweak it a little and then I can publish it next year. Truthfully, I'm just worried that I will not find the words to write, so while they're swimming in my head I want to get them out first. I think it is quite an emotional post, but I guess you'll have to wait till next year to read it.

Instead, today I will bring to your attention an interview of J.K. Rowling, by Oprah. It's a very interesting interview, mostly because many times, they seem to be trading notes- 'do you think that way, too?' Considering they're both very rich and powerful, it seemed logical, but I've never witnessed anything like that.

But it wasn't just that. It reminded me of how much J.K. Rowling went through, and how she pulled herself out. She hit rock bottom, and she said she's not sugarcoating it; rock bottom wasn't fun, but it was liberating, because she had nothing to lose.

But the most interesting part came at the end of the interview, when Oprah mentioned an article of Michael Jackson that she read. She said, quoting the article, that Michael did not realise just how phenomenal Thriller was, being at the top and all that, when people listen to it all the time, and performed the dance, that he spent the rest of his life chasing that phenomenon, and was never satisfied. Unsurprisingly, that part resonated with both of them.

J.K. Rowling then said that she was proud that she did it, that she became so successful, but she doesn't see why she needs to 'do it again'- whatever she does now is a new phase. It's definitely nice to hear, that she wouldn't be too hard on herself if her future books are never as popular as Harry Potter.

But the interview wasn't all that well. Oprah definitely annoyed me when she kept correcting J.K. Rowling's usage of British words, like 'queue' (Oprah said 'we call it a line'), and Philosopher's Stone (Oprah said 'well, later it was changed to Sorcerer's Stone, right?') I mean, come on.

And I'm sure it's no secret, I'm a fan of Harry Potter, but I also have great respect for J.K. Rowling. I was one of the kids who was introduced to reading by her, after all. And I've always harboured a secret ambition to be an author one day.

Here's the last part of the interview:



You can also watch the other parts on YouTube.

As for updates on my life, I'm happy to report that classes have begun, and assignments will still be there, but I might be ahead of it a little. As for other news, just stay tuned.
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

0 comments