So here's what you need to know about water:
- Unsafe water and lack of basic sanitation cause 80% of diseases and kill more people every year than all forms of violence, including war.
- 90% of the 42,000 deaths that occur every week from unsafe water and unhygienic living conditions are to children under five years old.
- In Africa alone, people spend 40 billion hours every year just walking for water.
- Not as bad as jeans, it still takes a whopping 400 gallons of water to grow the cotton required for an ordinary cotton shirt.
- It takes 1.85 gallons of water to manufacture the plastic for the bottle in the average commercial bottle of water.
The facts above are just a little of what I grabbed from various websites. The UN has declared that access to clean water is a basic human right, but still, many do not have access to it.
Now have a look at this video.
Matt Damon, along with Gary White, co-founded this charity, Water.org. It is a nonprofit organisation that aims to provide clean water to developing countries.
And Matt's not the only celebrity to help in this cause. Here's an older video about water, but it's still meaningful.
In case you didn't catch it, it was Leonardo DiCaprio who narrated.
As you can see, there are celebrities who are actually doing something good. While we may talk about how they are obsessed about leading a good life, spending without thinking, we should also spare a thought for these people who are actively promoting a good cause. And it's also time that we participated.
So, save water, think before you spend and recycle, and you might just have provided someone else with water to survive.
I'll end this post with a quote from Keira Knightley:
I don't know what it's like to turn on a tap, take a drink and worry about getting typhoid.
P.S. Also, check out this charity, the Blog Action Day homepage, and statistics from here, here, and here.