Wednesday, 21 July 2010

You know how the durian is called the king of fruits?

Of course, that's to people who like it- to people who don't, like yours truly, we can hardly call it the king of fruits, although 'national fruit' seems suitable to me (or should we call it 1Fruit now?)

But the durian is a unique fruit, isn't it? There are people who love it, and there are those who loathe it. I myself never liked it. The smell has always been overpowering. For those of you who like it, don't say a word, but for those of you who don't, you'll get what I mean when I say it's a foul stench.

To the chinese, the durian was considered as 'heaty'. To counteract this, people would normally drink salt water using the durian's husks. I remember enjoying doing this greatly, and so I would tolerate taking a few bites just so I can drink the salt water from the husk. Or perhaps I spit it out and just drank the salt water, I can't really remember.

I remember once, many years ago, when I went to Cameron Highlands, we bumped into a family of European tourists who were being brought around by a local. The tour guide had bought a durian from the stall on the opposite side of the road, and brought it back for them to taste. One sniff brought their nose wrinkling. Then came the tasting. Instead of grabbing it with their hands, they used... spoons! To take a small sample, of course.

Back to the differences of opinion. The durian lovers would of course exclaim 'what! but it's the best thing in the world!' when they hear someone doesn't like durians. It seems impossible for them to understand that some people just can't handle the smell!



Recently, my father had went for the durian eating event at Subang Parade. Seeing the people there, eating the durians with gusto (although I couldn't tell whether it was because of the love for the fruit, or because they paid for it), was indeed very amusing.

But above all that, it is a reminder of home. You know how in Inception, the characters had totems which would tell them whether or not they're in a dream? Well, the traffic jams, incessant honking and so many more, including the smell of durians, are what tells me I'm home.

It's just unfortunate that I'll be heading back to Adelaide tomorrow.
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

4 comments