Wednesday, 7 April 2010

Do you get annoyed when you hear someone say "if I can do it, so can you"?

I certainly do, and it is even more annoying when I realise I say it sometimes too.

Just today, while watching those morning programs, there was a segment where they were advertising this fitness machine that guarantees you will lose a certain amount of weight in a certain amount of time. Then a lady said "if I can do it, so can you!"

 One day during my first few weeks here, I visited Hahndorf, a German town in Adelaide along with some other people. That was the German platter meal, doesn't look big but it's absolutely huge in reality. It says serves two people, but it was shared by 4 of us!

If that was the case, then I would be a Hollywood heartthrob by now who's earning 50 million dollars a year.

People are just different, we're all programmed differently. Some things you just do better than others, some things not. That's why there are terrorists and nature lovers; carnivores, omnivores and herbivores.

And that, my friends, is what was left. The 4 of us were the most efficient eaters, our plate was the cleanest. I'm not taking all the credit, but hey, I contributed!

You would think that we humans would recognise that. Maybe we do, but advertisers just found this a very effective way to motivate people to buy their products. And I think teachers back at school used it too? "If so and so can do it, there's no reason why you can't". Especially used during deadlines.

Speaking of deadlines, I'm facing two on Friday. I've more or less completed one, except that I'm not satisfied with it and am trying to improve it, and another which is almost finished. Somehow I'm feeling jittery still, I feel like it's not up to standard. Maybe it's just because I'm still new here and am unsure of the system, but I really don't feel very confident about this assignment.

I'm thankful that after Friday there will be a 2 week teaching break, when I can catch up on my other assignments. Most of my subjects have this journal that we have to do every week, so I will have to catch up on the last few weeks that I've not managed to complete.

Anyway, the point I was trying to say was, all of us are uniquely different, just because someone is capable of doing something doesn't mean that everyone else can too. It just doesn't make sense, especially when you think about the difference in wealth and class standing of us humans.

That's all for now. Right now my bed's really, really inviting. Have a good night!
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

0 comments