Saturday, 5 December 2009

I mentioned in a post sometime ago about a series of books that I enjoy reading.

Somehow, I have yet to pick up a book from A Series of Unfortunate Events. I think I've outgrown those books. Or maybe it's because I can't bring myself to read an astounding 13 books.

But recently, another series from my past has me enjoying the joys of reading again.

It is the Age of the Five trilogy by Trudi Canavan. It's a wonderful fantasy trilogy.


The author's an Australian, and I actually didn't pick up that series the moment I saw it. That was because I had already read her previous work, the Black Magician Trilogy, which turned out to be so good that I doubted the new series would be better. But somehow I decided to give it a try, and I wasn't disappointed.


Now I have taken to rereading the Age of the Five trilogy. It tells of the story of an imaginary world where gods (not an all knowing God, but something like Greek gods- Zeus, Athena, Poseidon, etc) lived. Auraya, a village girl, grew up to be a priestess and is eventually selected as one of the most powerful followers of the gods. 

It has been refreshing, although I have to admit that the similarities between the two series are very obvious. And there is a surprise at the end of the series which I didn't expect, although from what I read online many people had seen that coming from the first book.

As for the author, I saw from her website her visualizations of the two worlds she had created, and I am amazed with what she had come up with. She had created a different world altogether, with different plants and animals, even.

I have been told MANY TIMES that all I read are fantasy books. Yes, I do admit that magic has an effect on me, and I like reading books that contain stories about magic or something that does not exist in reality. And I do get comments like "Magic again?" or "Magical powers? That's not unexpected" or something like that when I buy a book or recommend one, and it does get on my nerves. True, it definitely shows that I lack maturity.


But it never occurred to anyone of them that perhaps those books carry a special meaning to me, or that some element in that book was something I could relate to. Or perhaps it's pure entertainment. Forgive me if I find the notion of being able to communicate mentally or transform into animals more interesting than a story of a tragic childhood. Even a story about a blackmailed lawyer is more interesting than that to me.

Or maybe it is something I craved in reality, that I do not have.

It is a false perception, yet one that I cannot blame anyone for thinking of me that way.
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

0 comments