Tuesday, 10 November 2009

Last week I found my scout jamboree's activity book and card. The book was what you'd expect- speeches, camp information, schedule, etc. The card however, was a different thing. It was a list of activities that we can perform, and upon completion they will stamp the card. Get 20 stamps and you qualify for a badge.

I was never active in scouts. I had only joined for the points, and had even quit at one point. But having been brainwashed by the administration that having co-curriculum marks would be important in the future I gave it another try.

Obviously at the beginning I was hopeless. And then the opportunity to join the jamboree came up (that was in 2006), so I took it.

It wasn't easy for me, living in a jungle for 8 days. I craved city life, city food, and my own bed. But what can I do? Nothing. So I had to suck it up and wait hopefully for the day I leave.

But thinking back, it wasn't that bad. It was really hilarious even, at times. And it gave me a lot of experience, too.

One particular incident that I remember clearly was when I injured my ankle. I was running to complete an activity, and somehow I slipped. When I got back, I realized that my ankle was swollen a little, so I asked to be allowed to stay back at camp. While the others continued their 'quest', I went to the army tent to seek medication. By nighttime I can even feel how swollen it was. I was really down, because it was the second last day in which we can get the activity stamped, and with that swell I doubted I could.

Surprisingly though, the next day it wasn't that bad. I could walk pretty normally, and so I decided to take a risk. I decided to go for the badge. And how lucky I was! The last day was like... the day of opportunities. Most of the people in charge of the activities gave us a stamp for free. I remember one who gave me 2 if I could sing and dance. I did it, although realizing how stupid I looked because I was desperate for the badge.

And... I completed 20! I was so happy. It was the happiest moment in the duration of the camp for me. I wanted to prove to myself that I can achieve something in scouts, and to the others that I'm tougher than they think. And to be successful was just unimaginable. I was happy happy happy happy.

The second happiest moment was, of course, surviving the whole thing. I think it was 9 days in total. When I came home I smelled (as a result of not bathing, though I did clean my face and brush my teeth daily) and I was really tired.

But it was all well worth it.
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

0 comments