Sunday, 4 May 2008

There's an article in The Star today about the 20 finalists of the IMPAC Dublin Literary Award for Young Malaysians 2008.

I wasn't in it, sadly.

But then again, it must be hard, considering there were 660 entries!

Still, I wished I was in.

I guess I'm just not a good writer.

Nonetheless, I'm still comforted by what the Irish Ambassador to Malaysia, Eugene Hutchinson, said:

Every entry is a winner in itself because it has taxed the imagination.


I had not expected to win it, really. But I had hoped to, at the very least, be shortlisted.

A few pages after that was about another writing competition.

But I'm having doubts about joining.

Don't get me wrong, it's not because I'm afraid of failure, it's because it's non fiction.

There's 3 titles one can pick from, all of them non fiction. And I'll have to write between 1500 and 2000 words.

If it's a work of fiction, I would have no problem.

But I've always had problems with non fiction.

It's unchartered waters to me, I don't feel comfortable writing non fiction at all. Even when I attempt it, I can never write as long as 1500 words.

Fiction is my territory. I'm more at home. I feel more relaxed. When I'm writing non fiction, however, there's always the worry about whether I've written it long enough, whether the ideas are logic, are the points in correct sequence, etc. etc.

So I think I'll just have to skip this one. Hopefully there's another fiction writing competition coming up!
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

5 comments