Tuesday, 31 July 2007

I read with interest StarMag’s reviews on Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. I must say I disagreed with one of the reviewer’s comment that there’s no way a good book can be spoiled. I, for one, did not want anyone to tell me what the ending is- I didn’t want the excitement and fun to be spoiled. So instead I had a great time reading it word by word.

When an ending is known, the reader’s excitement simply won’t be there. For example, when I asked a friend what the ending to The Age of the Five trilogy is, I found that I read the book without the enthusiasm that I read Deathly Hallows with.

Rowling certainly made the book move at a faster pace. I was surprised that the action began so early in the book, compared to the other books when it started at the end. This change made the book even more exciting.

I was also felt more comfortable now that Rowling explained more about her characters. We get to know the characters deeper, for example, Dumbledore still commits errors.

What I did not like was the fact that Rowling killed off more characters than I thought. Or perhaps I just took that she said two main characters’ll die means that only TWO will die only. I didn’t expect minor characters like Dobby to be killed at all. It was a real shock.

As to the ending, I would say that I’m satisfied in some ways yet not satisfied in some. For instance, I was glad to know that Harry survived in the end, that he even managed to produce offsprings! But I wasn’t satisfied because I felt it was lacking in some ways. She didn’t say what happened to George or Snape. So there’s still a slight mist in front. Perhaps she’s planning another book? Only time will tell, as they say.
Tagged
Different Themes
Written by Templateify

Aenean quis feugiat elit. Quisque ultricies sollicitudin ante ut venenatis. Nulla dapibus placerat faucibus. Aenean quis leo non neque ultrices scelerisque. Nullam nec vulputate velit. Etiam fermentum turpis at magna tristique interdum.

Newer Post
This is the last post.

0 comments